The role of Instrument Craftsman in a power station is to maintain and repair monitoring and control systems within the functioning of the plant itself. This is a highly technical job requiring a specific, bespoke skillset and training.
Entry requirements are not specific for this role as it involves a structured training programme which can qualify the technician up to degree level. Skills: excellent analytical and diagnostic skills; good numeracy and literacy skills; attention to detail; willingness to learn; good technical skills.
£20,000 to £30,000 per year
- 90% of the sector workforce is full-time
- Employment in the engineering sector is around 1.4 million
- Most engineering companies in Britain are very small, employing fewer than 50 people
- Engineers work across most of the major sectors of the economy
- An estimated 230,000 additional jobs will be required in the next 4 years in the sector